Real Madrid are reportedly confident of winning the race to sign Colombian youngster James Rodriguez according to the Sunday Times.
Bernabeu president Florentino Perez has made the 22 year old AS Monaco star his number one summer transfer target after the attacker’s impressive World Cup showing.
Rodriguez is the tournament’s top scorer with six goals and the player’s clean-cut image is said to be a factor that has further fueled the Spanish giant’s interest, with the club no doubt hoping to cash in on the player’s marketing potential.
Having paid FC Porto £35.6m to bring in Rodriguez to the Stade Louis II less than a year ago the principality side are said to have placed a €75m (£60m) price-tag on the South American, a fee one imagines Real Madrid wouldn’t think twice about stumping up.
Real Madrid spent £85m to bring in Welsh winger Gareth Bale a year ago, a sum that broke their own world record, and as such clearly do not have an issue spending big in order to secure top talents.
Rodriguez earned a move to AS Monaco after three strong seasons in Portugal, during which time he secured a trio of domestic titles as well as a Europa League triumph among a host of accolades.
The flair player proved he was no flash in the pan by finishing last term as the leading assist maker in Ligue 1.
Reports suggest Real Madrid have made Colombia World Cup sensation James Rodriguez their number one summer transfer window target after falling behind in the race to sign Luis Suarez.
Bernabeu officials have gone cool on plans to pursue the Liverpool striker following his latest ban for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini and after hearing rumours that the Uruguay forward would prefer a move to arch-rivals Barcelona if switching to Spain.
Instead, the reigning champions of Europe have turned their attention to Rodriguez, who is challenging Lionel Messi and Neymar for Golden Boot glory and player of the tournament honours at Brazil 2014.
The 22-year-old took his goals tally to five in four games when bagging a brace in Colombia’s last-16 win over Uruguay, having previously netted versus Greece, Ivory Coast and Japan during the group stage.
According to a report in Spanish paper, an unnamed Colombian teammate has said injured Radamel Falcao “dreams” of playing for Real Madrid.
“Falcao thinks he’s going to join Real Madrid this summer,” says the teammate. “He dreams of playing there, and is only prepared to listen to offers from Los Blancos.”
Recovering from ACL surgery that kept the Monaco striker out of the World Cup, Falcao visited the Colombian training base in Sao Paulo to meet up with his international teammates.
According to the report, Falcao’s contract with Monaco includes a clause that allows a release for any approach from Real Madrid. It’s unknown if there’s a minimum value on the release clause, but common wisdom would conclude that there’s probably some type of amount Los Blancos would have to hit to trigger the clause, or it’d be silly for Monaco to agree to such terms.